6.15.2014

Penelope Peplum Dress: One for Me, One for the Girl


 Last week I saw 2 really cute versions of the Penelope Peplum Dress over at iCandyHandmade.  I had seen the pattern when it was first released at SeeKateSew, but wasn't sure how it was different from the Lady Skater.
 If you read my blog, you know how much I love the Lady Skater PatternKitschy Coo also shows you how you can use your pattern to make a peplum top.  I have yet to try it, but it's on my list.
 The big difference with the Penelope Peplum is that the top is finished with a facing rather than a binding for a cleaner look.  So, I do really like my finished dress, but I will tell you, I only purchased the peplum top pattern.  I actually didn't realize until I sat down to cut and sew that I needed to buy a separate pattern for the skirt to make a dress. 
 I figured between the skirt piece from my Lady Skater and all the other dresses I've sewn, I could figure it out.  I added some in-seam pockets that I learned how to do when I made my Minoru Jacket.
 I'm happy with the dress overall.  The back view isn't great.  The top is probably a tad tight and the skirt is kind of wonky on my behind.  Oh well. Most people probably only see the front me. 
 Since I bought tons of this fabric from Girl Charlee, I made a similar dress for my daughter.
 School is almost out and she needed a special dress for a school presentation.  I used the tank top pattern from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom and added a gathered skirt.

So easy and so pretty.  She really wanted us to wear our matching dresses the day of her presentation, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  She understood, thank goodness.  I was going to have to spill some ketchup on my dress otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely!! My Charlee wants a Mom and Me dress in these fabrics now...thank you for the links to the patterns you used.

    Heather
    www.girlcharlee.com

    ReplyDelete